Monday, June 6, 2011

Getting HER last name

In December, I filed for a domestic partnership with my beloved.  It took a matter of minutes + a nominal filing fee.  Much like a marriage certificate, it was a quick and painless process that bound us together until death do us part. Changing my name, however has been quite a different matter.

For all you girls out there who ever walked down the aisle, it was a total pain in the ass to change your name, right?  It starts with a trip to the social security office with a certified marriage certificate . . . seemingly endless lines, beaurecratic red tape, a complete violation of your lunch breaks and DTO, right?  Well, here's a tip for you girls that might make it slightly less painful . . . IT WAS FREE.

Here's what I had to do just to get that ball rolling.  First, I had to investigate countless government websites until I found out if I could even legally share the same name as my bethrothed.  After finally stumbling across the appropriate forms with their 37 pages of instructions (all to be printed in Black ink with NO use of  correction fluid), I found that I would have to stand in line at the County Clerk's office with a giant check for almost $300.  Of course, need I say that I was required to take to said clerk's office triplicate copies of forms with staples . . . no paperclips?   I was informed that their job was NOT to staple my paperwork.  I was then required to proceed to the nearest local newspaper office (located in the middle of nowhere on a one-way street in the hood, if such a place exists in Reno, NV) with a grand total of $166 where an ad would run for three consecutive weeks asking for the general public's permission to change my name.  Now, I understand completely that this is done for the safety of John Q Public as I could have potentially been a registered sex offender trying to escape justice.  However, for all of the other registerered sex offenders wishing to escape justice . . .  here's a hint for you . . . marry a DUDE.  They let you then change your name for free and without public notice!!

After 3-4 weeks of waiting, I finally received the certified notice from the newspaper stating that my ad had run and I then took that back to the County Clerk'sffice and stood in the same line (FYI . . . parking is at the meter, the coffee shop next door does NOT make change AND there is a security checkpoint into the building that rivals TSA any day of the week).  This part of my journey should have been free but the 50 cents in my pocket only bought 30 minutes of parking and hence, the resulting 31 minute parking ticket cost me $20.

Long story short . . I hope I remain a Lawson for all the rest of my days.  The total cost for changing what comes free to every man and wife was around $600.  At the end of the day, however, there is a certain sense of peace that comes with having a singular name on the checkbook, the power bills, and the student registration forms.  I am no less proud to sign my new that any blushing bride.

Girl Dad's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment