Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Practicing Random Acts of "Strange" Kindness

So, my 16 year old daughter, Avery, gets a $30 gift card to Texas Roadhouse from her work as their way of apologizing for trying to set her on fire (that's a whole other blog) . . . ANYWAY . . .she invites her Momma to go with her to dinner tonight.

While we're there, I notice 2 ginormous tables of old people just enjoying the hell out of their dinner and taking pictures.  Seriously, these folks are late 60's or 70.  One tall dude is up and down snapping pics like crazy and . . . you know me . . . I just got to know what the ocassion is.  So, as they start to depart the restaurant, I stop the cutest little old lady ever and I say (in my best Southern drawl) . . .

" I noticed that ya'll seem to be having a fine 'ole time takin' pictures and all.  What's the ocassion?"  Well, she proceeds to explain to me that they were all "Army brats (her words)" and that they graduated High School together in Puerto Rico FIFTY years ago.  This excited me to no end so I asked, in these words, "If I line up at that there cash register, can I hug all ya'll as you leave?"  Well, most of them lined up in an orderly fashion and let me hug them and I told each of them "Happy Fiftieth Anniversary" and we just laughed and had a big 'ole time until some of the older gentlemen requested pictures.  Now, this might be an appropriate time to interject that I was wearing a fairly low cut dress and the DDD's might have been peeking out just a bit and I might have had on a pair of 6" platforms causing me to stand around 6'5" tall (I've shrunk as I got old).  Now, the first couple of guys just got the standard kiss of the cheek picture then they talked a little short  fellow into taking off his paper boy cap so that I could kiss him on the top of the head.  Of course, I gladly obliged them and somewhere, there is photographic evidence.  Why Pookie didn't snap some pics on my camera phone is beyond me.

Long story short, we got to the last of the older gentlemen (a kindly man in a blue sweater) who had been hesitant to step forward . . . I asked which of the lovely ladies was his beautiful bride so that I could get a picture with her too.  A not so kindly woman with a not so kindly expression on her face steps foward and refuses her hug then proceeds to rapidly exit my hug line followed by her gaggle of 2 other not so kindly looking ladies.

And the moral of the story is this.  Jealous b*tches in high school grow up to be jealous old ladies.  Now, seriously, was it necessary for her to behave like that?  Was there any real fear of some giant stranger in a crowded Texas Roadhouse sinking her devil claws into the poor woman's 70 year old sweater clad husband?  I ask you, my blog reading friends, was there any real harm in my wanting to congratulate 16 or 20 random strangers for having the good fortune to be able to celebrate their 50th Class Reunion?

And finally . . . Pookie call my random acts of kindness "strange".  Perhaps strange for some but just part of the every day life that makes me happy to be . . .

Girl Dad's Wife

1 comment:

  1. I love it!!! I wish I could have been a fly on the wall! God willing, I hope I'm a cantankerous old woman when I'm old...and I'd be posing with tall, beautiful women!

    ReplyDelete